Ampmeter Bypass

I have finally found time to start working on my 63 SF again.

I have been searching though the archives about alternators and found a
very interesting item.  The ampmeter and associated wiring in our cars
can be a problem due to all of the current going through the wiring
harness, through the ampmeter and back to the battery.

I found what appears to be a good partial fix:

Put both wires on one post of the ampmeter to reduce the possibility of
dash and wiring damage due to a failed ampmeter. (mine doesn't work
anyway so no loss)

Run a #8 wire directly from the alternator Bat. connection to the
positive post of the battery.  This will reduce the current going
through the wiring harness and bulkhead connector.

Anyone see any problems with doing this?  Sure would like some comments
before make the changes.

Thanks
Dennis C.

----