This Geezer went to the drags

I went to the Geezer drags at Mid-America Motorplex today. It was a very nice warm day with clouds in the AM. I ran across Dodger there too. He didn't bring a car though. These were 1/8th mile races.

I was all hyped up to turn some better times because I've been massaging the carbs and have them running much better on the street. The top end is way improved and the mileage is close to double, 9-10mpg now. Plus this was daytime and I could actually use the tach and see it.

However, I ran .6 worse than I had last Sept at the evening races when I couldn't even tell at what rpm I was shifting. Here are the specs for my runs:

1)  Started in 1st, power braked about 2,00rpm, ran entire 1/8th in 1st crossing at 5800rpm.
      11.126 @ 61.65 , 60' @ 2.599  Test

2)  Started in 1st, power braked about 2800rpm, shifted at about 5000rpm crossed in 2nd
      11.084 @ 63.38 , 60' @ 2.576  Test

3)  Started in drive, slight engine speed for start, shifted auto at about 3800rpm, crossed in high
      11.367 @ 61.82 , 60' @ 2.717  Test

4)  Started in 1st, Moderate power brake, shifted near end at about 5200rpm, crossed in 2d
      11.121 @ 63.6 , 60' @ 2.654
      Lost flag start to a 10.96 @ 64.59 by Olds S-1o V-6 powered truck

5)  Started in 1st, off idle - hit throttle hard at start, shifted about 5200, crossecd in 2d
      11.105 @ 63.60 , 60' @ 2.611
      Lost tree start to a 10.298 @ 70.34 by 40 Ford coupe (Nice with probably an SBC)

Well there's my sad tail for the day but it was fun and a learning experience. I really need that new rear-end installed. The 2.76 open diff is killing me. I told Dodger I had lost a second by power braking hard but on closer looking I was wrong. I do smoke'm that way but it may be what I have to do anyway to let the r's get going better. I won't hit the track again until I get the rear and springs done and tweak the ignition. A replacement for the defective driver might help too!

FYI: My car is a '64 Dodge polara 4 door sedan with 2X4's, hot street cam, TTI's, 3000stall converter, Mopar electronic, etc..

Rich Kinsley

----