RE: synvrs normal.

Don,

I agree with what your saying. but as an engineer, oil science and
test do not agree. How ever that stated, the bumble bee, according to
science can't fly either. Over the years I have read every oil test I can
get my hands on done by universities. synthetic, and multi grade oils
hold viscosity better, longer under extreme conditions. Which leads me
to believe that perhaps viscosity is not the correct metric to be judging
oils by on high performance - race engines.

My opinion, non-scientific, but most cam manufactures and oil producers
will agree, is that additives are more important. With all the oil test I
have
read, the top performing oils, synthetic or petroleum based, were not that
far
off on viscosity failure rates. Most oils today do not contain the level of
zinc, manganese and/or phosphates they once did. It is proven that these
additives do reduce ware, especial on break in. The reason they are not
present in today's oils is that they damage catalytic converters, and
pollute.

I like you, as I have stated before, put it together and run it like cops
are
after me. (sometimes they are). With all my motors, I WILL NOT start a
new motor without it having the GM additive EOS, and a good diesel rated
oil like Delo or Rotella in the motor. We have never experience a oil
related
motor failure. The American Engine Rebuilder's Association (AERA) bulletin
#TB2333 address this issue of reduced additives. I have spoken with their
consulting engineer, and he totally agrees this is a growing issue.

My advice to everyone putting together a new motor, is to use Rotella, and
EOS.
If your motor is close to being put together correctly, you will not
experience
an issue. If you're a bone head, and the motor is not right, oil will not
save
you. Valvoline is now offering an "Off Road 20W-50" oil that has the correct

level of additives, also Redline.

Bottom line, be concerned about additives, stop believing the Mobile 1 slick

TV commercials, and like Don says, do what has worked for years. You will
be money ahead.... THINK - EOS - Rotella - Delo.

Earl