RE: Steering question, successful long trip

RE: Steering question, successful long trip

A real good fix is a new Stage II box from Firm feel
or Steer and Gear. More positive feel for the road.
--- Richard Kinsley <r.kinsley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Jim Ozolins wrote:
> >
> > I just returned from a trip where I put 430 miles
> on my '64 Valiant.
> >
> > The car performed very well, partly because I
> replaced the junk
> > alternator
> > and tired battery before I left. I did notice that
> there was plenty of
> > play
> > in the steering - on the highway, I had to work to
> keep it centered in
> > the
> > lane, especially during gusty winds.
> >
> > I plan on getting the steering and the front
> suspension into good
> > working
> > order next, and fixing a leak in the radiator.
> Other than that, I was
> > really
> > happy with the car on this long trip.
> > Also, the high temp yesterday was 99, and I had no
> overheating problems,
> >
> > except immediately after one long stop for
> traffic.
> >
> > Jim Ozolins
> > '64 Signet 200

> One easy fix I found on my car to tighten the
> steering was that the
> steering gear box was ready to fall off. It's
> attached by 3 bolts as I
> recall and they were all probably 1/4" from even
> making contact.I
> tightened them by hand for that 1/4". That makes for
> alot of slop.
>

> Rich Kinsley  '64 Polara 4 dr 318poly w/goodies
>

> ----
> Please address private mail -- mail of interest to
> only one person -- directly to that person.  I.e.,
> send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well
> as other personal messages only to the intended
> recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This
> practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total
> volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to
> Mopar topic.  Thanks!

George

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222