Derrick Brown
'63 Sport Fury, 4 speed
derrickb@xxxxxxx

On Aug 28, 2007, at 7:08 PM, Dave Casey wrote:

For clarification, having that VIN digit doesn't make it a Max Wedge, it just means that it was built at the same plant. So for it to be a Max Wedge, it must have the proper fourth digit, but having that digit does not a Max Wedge make. Checking the fourth digit is just the first line of defense against clones.

Have I got that right?

Dave Casey

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert (UK)" <r.lane@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:30 AM
Subject: RE: Max wedge VIN info

Bill/Dave

Thanks for the info - I'm sure I've looked up our fender tag & vin plate before but didnt have the info to hand, so got all excited when you said
'the 4th digit needs to be a 2'!

Robert
England

Bill Watson wrote:

The 4th digit on 1960-64 VIN plus American 1965 VIN, is for the assembly plant. Before 1966 there was no digit in the VIN for the engine size,
only
whether it was a 6 or V8 in the case of Plymouth, Dodge, Valiant, Dart,
Coronet and Belvedere..

A "1" in the 4th spot means the car was built at Lynch Road, Detroit,
while
"2" is for Hamtramck.  During the MasWedge era. (1962-64) Lynch Road
built
Plymouths and Hamtramck built Dodges. All MaxWedge cars were built at
Lynch
and Hamtramck.  No where else.

So, the"2" in the 4th digit of your Polara 500 means it was built at
Hamtramck, Michigan (aka Dodge Main)..

Bill
Vancouver, BC

----