Re: 64 B body rear tapered axle

My experience: I put antisneeze on mine and a couple years later they were stuck anyway and I had to rent a special puller that had an attachment you put on it so you could turn it by smacking it with a hammer. didn't make much difference to me anyway.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Earl H. <mailto:earlh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:27 AM
  Subject: RE: 64 B body rear tapered axle

  Butch,

  To quote Mark Twain - "Common sense is not all that common"

  I think you answered your own question. You will be fine. Perhaps
  we could build some kind of esoteric argument that the advice you
  received from the "Other Forum" is technically correct in a perfect world,
  but lets face it, it is not a perfect world. I have done this many times in
  the past, and have never hurt one.

  Earl

  I'm looking for comments. I rebuilt the rear end on my 64 Plymouth Sport
  Fury, which has the old tapered axles. I cleaned the tapers on the axle and
  hub before reassembly and in what I thought was an enlightened moment, put
  some anti-seize compound on the tapers so I can get the assemblies apart
  easier in the future. Subsequently, I read some advice on another website
  that you should NEVER put any kind of lubricant or anti-seize on the tapers,
  as the friction between the two parts is actually what keeps the two pieces
  acting as one, that if there is lube between the two parts, eventually the
  steel key on the axle will wear off from applied torque and the wheel
  assembly will spin on the axle.
  This sounds like good logic to me, but I'm thinking that 140 lbs of torque
  on the castle nut that binds the two parts together is enough to eliminate
  that possibility except if I were perhaps going to be racing the car, which
  won't happen. I'd appreciate any comments from those of you with more
  experience in this area than me. Thanks/ Butch /Ferndale, WA

  Mopar...if you have to ask, you'll never understand.

  ----
  topic.  Thanks!

  http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html<http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html>.

  ----