Re: 1962 413?

The inline 2, 4-bbl 413 came out before the short ram intake dual 4-bbl 413
Car Life magazine tested a Dart 330 2-door hardtop with such an engiine for
its March 1862 issue.   It listed a number of upgrades that were available
to the engine - manifolds, camshafts, pistons, and stated,

"Many of these items, however, must be installed by the dealer.  For
testing, we felt the most appropriate combination would be the hottest one
available directly from the factory.  This would be the 385-bhp engine,
conventional 3-speed transmission and 4.10:1 axle."

The article goes on to state "Ram manifolding is the only dealer-fitted item
which alters the advertised engine output."

Remember, the 2, 4-bbl 413 was introduced early in the 1962 calendar year,
so any materials published before that date, including part books, are not
going to mention the engine.   The Ram Charger 413 with its 2, 4-bbl set up
with short ram manifold came a short time later.  The materials published at
introduction time (September, 1961) did not mention an engine bigger than
the 361, including the service manual.

Both 2, 4-bbl 413 engines had a 11.0:1 compression ratio, although a 13.5:1
max performance ratio was available on the Ram Charger.  Plymouth called its
version of the Ram Charger the "413 Suiper Stock".

Judging by the articles published on the B body cars with a 413 (Car Life
and Motor Trend), the inline 2, 4-bbl setup came before the short ram
manifold.   As to how many were built with the inline set up is another
question.   There was at least one - the red hardtop Car Life magazine
tested.

More information is available on the short ram version.  Both Motor Trend
and Car Life published tests on the car and Dodge published a "Salesmen's
Facts" booklet on the engine.

Bill
Vancouver, BC