Centerforce Clutch Problem - Update

Today I removed the clutch and checked it and the flywheel.  All the
mounting bolts were tight.  The surface finish of each looked great, no
heat checking or hard spots evident.  The machining marks were still
obvious on the surface of the clutch, and the surface grinding marks
were still obvious on the flywheel.  The thing that looked strange was
the big difference in color on the face of the clutch plate.  One half
looked a normal dirty steel color, while the other half was a dark blue
/ brown color, almost like 1/2 of the clutch plate was contacting the
disc differently than the other half.  The same thing appears on the
flywheel, but the brown color wasn't quite as dark as on the clutch.  In
hindsight, I wish that I had marked the mounting position of the clutch
to the flywheel, so that I could compare the location of the
discoloration in each piece.

The clutch disc still has plenty of usuable lining left, and appears to
be worn evenly on both sides.  The throw-out bearing was replaced with
the clutch, and is still good.  The disc slides freely on the input
shaft, and the tip of the shaft is fine, and so is the pilot bushing.
The clutch fork lines up with the centerline of the hole through the
bellhousing.

I'm still puzzled....Brian

'64 Belvedere
Davenport, Iowa

"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little
extra."

----