To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:44 AM
Subject: RE: wiring harnesses

Sean B wrote:

Gary, two things I should have mentioned:

1.  Be sure to use a fusible link whenever adding a second charging wire

to a car.  Even though you are splitting the charging juice, select a
gauge of wire rated for the particular alternator's full output, and a
gauge for the fusible link that belongs with that wire.  Four gauges
higher (thinner) for the fusible link.

2.  I don't think that we need anything over, say, 50 amps with our
cars, unless they have A/C, probably.  I thought I might use an electric

fuel pump and electric fans on my car, which I didn't.  I'm not sure how

much alternator power is required for these accessories.  Maybe someone
else can answer that?

Sean

I have a question to add to this discussion.  We've talked before about
switching this system from amperage to voltage.  And there is a good
tech article about the swap.  One thing that is not addressed clearly is
the gauge.  I'm guessing that it's necessary to use a replacement gauge.
On my '63 I think that would be a fairly simple swap as the small
gauges seem to be the same size as modern replacement gauges.  However,
if a guy wanted to keep his original gauge, I'm wondering it it would be
possible to retro fit the faceplate and needle onto a modern gauge or
somehow change to guts to convert it to a gauge that reads voltage
instead of amperage?  Has anyone tried this?

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html