RE: Recent restoration of a

I agree with you 100% Gary...the whole point of this hobby is enjoying
the cars. I have been wrenching on my cars for over 30 years, started
due to lack of finances more than anything, now it's a pride thing. The
only person to turn a wrench on my Polara besides me is my buddy that
aligned the car after I rebuilt the front end. I recently learned from a
friend how to weld patches in rusted out wholes on my Dart. I figure I
need to learn everything about restoring old cars since I have plans to
do many more after the current one is done. The Dart was my first paint
job and turned out pretty decent I think (if you don't stand too close).
I have about 8k in my car now, including the $3200 I paid for it. I did
it all myself except for the block/head machine work. I have about $2500
in the motor including the cost of the 426 block itself. I have about
$750 in my exhaust including the $100 to have tailpipes bent and $100 in
RR exhaust tips. The car still needs paint, chrome, and the interior
redone, but I will paint it myself. I did luck out and start with a
clean rust-free body, I know rust repair is a big part of the cost and
some aren't as lucky as I was. I'm sure I will pay for that on the next
car I start. I suppose labor prices may be regional, too. I try to do it
all myself. Sorry for the long-winded post!
spigot2039@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I request if you reply to Doug to CC the mail list if possible. This is
> a good topic. :)
>
> My 2c: the biggest cost is labor. Therefore, the more you do yourself
> the lower the resto $.
>
> Now, you need to at least enjoy what you are doing. For example, lying
> on your back under a car with a propane tank and scraper removing old
> undercoating for 8 hours is one person's Zen moment, another person's
> private Hell. Do the resto items you are interested in (e.g., learning
> to rebuild a transmission) and farm out what irks you (e.g., getting a
> car's bodywork ready for a black paint finish).
>
> At least one person on this mail list clubhouse has learned to weld
> because of the resto process.
>
> Gary H.

Jeff Adams
64 Polara