RE: jeff

Thanks Don, good info to have. I sold a factory dual 4 cast intake a
couple years ago, but I've been thinking about going to a dual quad set
up this summer. How big do you think the carbs should be on a 426 wedge
with 10 to 1 flattops, 513 lift cam, headers, ported Mopar Stage 4 heads
with big valves, 4-spd and 3:91's in a 64 Polara?

Don Dulmage wrote:

> Mostly it is like a huge seconadary. You can supply more CFm at Wide
> open throttle then you ever could with a single four because you can
> leave the second carb closed until just the last small portion of full
> throttle so there is no risk f too much too soon as with an oversize
> single. I am sure that at full trottle wide open distribtion is much
> better. How much? I dont knowbut it seems like it would be better to
> some extent.  for instance the 440 six pack was  1 350 and 2 500s
> making it 1350 cfm technically although 2 bbls are not rated atthe same
> depression as 4 barrels so it is probaly more like 1025 cfm . It would
> be almost impossible to run a 1000 cfm carb on the street with normal
> gearing and such but through the magic of progessive linkage it works
> very very well.  A 2x4 set up works very similar. When we size a carb it
> is because low speed performance is so geared to the velocity through
> the ventri which is what makes a carb work. If we have to big a venturi
> then the carb is not actually working properly at low speed and the car
> loses its responsiveness untill it get sufficent rpm to k maintain
> proper carb operation. BUT as long as wecan keep venturi velocity high
> enugh fr the carb to work properly then we can add cfm without determent
> to performance. With 2 x4s and  progrssive linkage this can be done
> easily and we can have more cfm at wide open throttle than we ever could
> have with a single four. More cfm is less restriction and if the engine
> has thecam and heads to handle it then more power comes to. A well set
> up 2x4 deal can be a very responsive combination. Edebrock sels packages
> and they even  supply rejetting for just the manifld if you buy it. AFBs
> are very suited to 2x4 setups. (Carter and Eddy AFBS) To get a real
> benifit though we need to have MORE total cfm than we could run with a
> single four.Other wise there will probaly be no power gain.
> With the OR built the 2x4 werethe mosr t responsive and least trouble to
> drive. Also the sound is awesome . Sounds like your hood is gonna
> dissaper down the carb .  It is just a lot of fun, wors well and loks
> great. maybe that is al that can be said for it and to be sure a single
> four can work well too. I guess if you are tempted to go that way no
> good reason not to.  Beside the visual alone is hard on the competiton.
> Don
> Author of
> Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
> Old Reliable (Mopar)