RE: 440 source heads

Earl Helm wrote:

> Dave,
>
> My experience with heads tells me I would not run any aluminum after
> market heads out of the box. Eddy's are not race ready out of the box.
> My opinion from the two sets I have purchased is they are sloppy for the
>
> street. I bought a set of Bulldogs from Hughes that he said was prepped.
>
> They were terrible. The only set of heads I have ever gotten that
> checked
> out from a supplier was a set of Brodix I purchased from Reher &
> Morrison.
> They are the only supplier I paid for prep and got what I paid for. I
> would
> always be prepared to check seat height, valve length, stack height and
> coil bind, and guide clearance, open and closed pressures on every set
> you
> get. Especially guide clearance. You are not going to get a set of heads
> that
> are well sorted in the grand per head range. It is just not in the
> books. Good
> machine work cost, and it does not come for a grand per head. Just my
> humble
> opinion based on experance.
>
> Earl
>

>     I was looking at buying a pair but I don't like that they've removed the
>
> option to buy them unassembled for less. As much as good hardware costs,
> am somewhat reluctant to run these right out of the box. I'd rather buy
> the
> bare heads and get my own valves/springs/retainers/etc.
>     We can safely assume the castings are coming in a container from China.
> It's hard to know what manufacturer the other stuff is sourced from
> unless
> you get it yourself.
>     That said, I would run Edelbrocks out of the box, as I've installed
> several sets of their heads without incident. The biggest appeal (to me)
> of
> the 440 source heads is they don't have angled plugs and I don't intend
> switch from manifolds. All other specs are comparable with the Eddy's.
>     No, I won't be painting mine, whatever I end up with.
>
> Dave Casey

I had a conversation with my machinist when trying to decide what to do
with my 906 heads.  I showed him the ones from 440 Source and he said
that he has never seen a set of aluminum heads that didn't need some
machine work.  I imagine that like most precision things, you get what
you pay for.

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727