RE: Extra Thick Exhaust gaskets

Butch Edison wrote:

> My 383 has a set of headers on it, brand unknown. When I last removed
> them, the exhaust gaskets pretty well crumbled, so I purchased a set
> from the auto parts store. Problem is, they leak now. The new ones are
> thinner than the old ones. Does anyone have a source for 'extra thick'
> exhaust gaskets? If not, should I double up the standard gaskets?
> Thanks/ Butch / Ferndale, WA
>

> Mopar...if you have to ask, you'll never understand.
> 64 Plymouth Sport Fury, 383, A727 floor shift

I bet you'll get lots of replies on this one. The real deal with quality
headers is not to use any gasket as the mating surfaces should seal
well. A double gasket would be gauranteed disater as it would burn and
blow out like if you doubled up an oil filter gasket accidentally. They
do have new copper gaskets that are supposed to be really great. Thinner
is better. I have the gaskets on my TTI's that were supplied and I
haven't had any trouble with them after almost three years now.

----