RE: Corn? We don't need no stinking corn!

RE: Corn? We don't need no stinking corn!

I have heard there is an ethanol plant somewhere in central Nebraska
producing ethanol w/ algae.  I like it!
My new Chrysler mini van is an E-85 vehicle, my first.  So I have done a
little calculating.  In Iowa and Nebraska we have a 10% ethanol blend
(89 octane) which I always use because it is the cheapest, usually by @
10 cents.  It's cheaper because state government subsidizes it.  With
E-10 I get 22 mpg.  At todays price ($3.67) that comes to @ 16.7
cents/mile.  I get 18 mpg with E-85 (105 octane).  Today I paid $2.77
for it.  That comes to @15.4 cents/mile.  The break even point is @
$1.20/gal difference.  And I buy it at a gas station operated by a
farmers co-operative so my money's not going to the oil companies!  I
think I remember some talk on this BB in the past about E-85
carburetors.  The octane is certainly right for a lot of our cars at
105.  Something to think about.
There are ethanol plants being built all over the corn belt.  I have
heard that many of them may not be able to operate when finished because
the rise in corn prices has made it economically unfeasible.??

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html