RE: Drum Brake Noises

Hi there,

Just a thought.  Check the interference with the backing plate.  It may
be rubbing in the drum and that is why you can see anything when you
remove the drum.

Try removing the wheel and spinning the drum.  The noise source may show
up.

Good luck.

K.
Dan McCormack wrote:

> It's kind of normal Bill especially when the brakes are cold and haven't
>
> warmed up yet. What your hearing is the shoes chattering on the drums at
>
> slow speed. Mopars (at least the older ones and I'm not sure what year
> they
> stopped doing this) used to have a spring wrapped around the drum to
> absorb
> the noise. Unfortunately as drums got pulled to be turned most of the
> time
> the springs got thrown away and discarded. You may notice that there's a
>
> groove on the outside of the drum. That's where the spring went.
>
> Dan

Kevin R. Merkley
Thunder Bay, Ontario
64 Dodge 440 2dr HT (Cdn)