Re: 8 3/4 seal problem / question

Green bearing do not use the stock seals. green bearings are not some wierd specal thing we think they are they are just bearings like we used to find in say 55 to 57 chevy difs . Have a lot of friends using them now with no seals. have a set in my hemi jeep on a set of strange axles and although I have not run them yet they were used for about 9 years by my pal G Wager with no trouble. BTW sometimes it is the splined section that is too long. When using the grean bearings which do not require adjustment but are self centering you and just lop the extra off the end of theaxle at thesplines providng thereis enough spline to still engage. in fact when i get axles replined I specifya cetain amount of lengthin the pline so i can final fit the axle to suit me. Don ----- Original Message ----- From: "Wakeman Massie" <wakey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 7:27 PM
Subject: 8 3/4 seal problem / question

I have rebuilt and modified many 8 3/4s over the years but I am little stumped on this one. It is the original 1962 8 3/4 axle housing that I am rebuilding for use in my '62 Dart project.

Being a reasonably high-performance application, I am using a 742 case and decided to ditch the tapered axleshafts. Also I am using 11 x 2 1/2" drums off of a '67 C-body.

I measured the overall width of the housing, then ordered custom width shafts from Moser with Green Co. bearings pressed on already.

Upon trying to assemble all the cleaned/blasted/rebuild stuff, I found that the depth of the bearing and seal bore in the housing ends are not the same as the later (post '65). They are more shallow - and the problem is that I cannot get the axle end-seals hammered in deep enough to clear the bearing retainer on the axleshaft without interference. It simple isn't machined deep enough.

My first thought is to turn the axle seals around backwards. This would get me maybe 1/4"more clearance.. probably not enough. My second idea is to skip the seals entirely, thinking that since the Green Co. bearings are sealed and use an O-ring on the OD, perhaps no seal would be needed to keep the gear oil off my brakes.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/insight short of deeper machining or welding on later-style housing ends?

Thanks

Wakeman

----

----