Scrappage Bill and attention VA members! Car Hobbyist Action Needed

Scrappage Bill and attention VA members! Car Hobbyist Action Needed

Any '62 - 65 Mopar members in VA need to contact Congressman Rick Boucher!
See contact details below.

For the rest of us, I found this section ominous:

"Many of you may wonder how this will affect the old car hobby.
It will affect us immediately in some ways and eventually in
others. There will be an immediate reduction in older parts available
for restoration and project cars. Old cars will be looked upon
as detrimental to the environment, and will be labeled as such.
Most government programs and initiatives such as this start out
as “voluntary”. They then become permanent, and we may all
be compelled to rid ourselves of older cars, or prevented from
driving them. In addition, body shops and auto service related
businesses will dwindle in number, driving up repair costs. Trust
that once old cars are labeled as gross polluters due to this
legislation, we will be forced into emissions testing, or even paying
carbon taxes on our cars. There is even the possibility of federal
auto registrations to keep track of these older cars. You and your
hobby will be affected by this legislation."

I also read a comment from the California Air Board saying that all old
cars belong in museums, not on the road.

Remember,SEMA has an alert online now:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62505

Thanks,
Gary H.

===========================
Car Hobbyist Action Needed -

A message from Tom Cox

Hello All,

Some of you are no doubt aware that the Senate and Congress
are considering funding another ill advised cash for clunkers
program. In the past, such scrappage programs have been largely
funded and administered at the State Level. Unfortunately,
the Senate and Congress are poised to ram a stimulus package
through within thirty days of the inauguration. Many
representatives in both Houses, at the urging of car dealers and
manufacturers, are petitioning the Obama transition team to support
a Federal scrappage program funded in excess of 1.5 Billion
dollars as part of the stimulus package.

The belief is that low income families will trade their clunker for
approximately $1,500.00 from Uncle Sam, and then rush to buy
a new car. In addition, it is believed that buying  and scrapping
these 13 year old and older cars will clean the air.
Both assumptions are heavily flawed.

Many of the cars traded in under this plan would have been
driven sparingly, if at all, and many would likely come from
junkyards and junk dealers. Additionally, these vehicles aged
13 years and older are a minimal part of the pollution problem
due to their small numbers and minimal annual mileage driven.
This is another feel good proposition that never accomplishes
anything, but making bureaucrats feel useful rather than
addressing true causes of air pollution.

Low income families will never be able to run out to buy a new
car simply because someone gave them $1,500. New cars cost
far more than that. $1,500.00 will not cover taxes, DMV fees,
and the higher insurance required on most new vehicles. Not
only will these lower income folks not be able to access a new
under this plan. Accordingly, they will be limited to working
in areas serviced only by public transportation, which will trap
many in deteriorating metropolitan areas without access to better
jobs. In addition to the motorists affected, auto body shops, general
repair shops, auto parts companies, and many others in our back
yard will be affected negatively through the scrapping of these
cars.

[...]

If politicians really want to help in these times of crisis by
selling cars, while cleaning the air they should support the following
instead of Cash for Clunkers:

* Allow an above-the-line tax deduction for interest, sales and
excise taxes associated with the purchase of a new car as put forth
provide a tax credit/voucher for everyone towards the purchase
Provide tax credits to help repair or maintain an older vehicle
since this employs the folks who make the parts, sell them,
install them etc.

* Provide tax credits to help repair or maintain an older vehicle
since this employs the folks who make the parts, sell them,
install them etc. This will offer the owner added performance,
since maintenance and not age is the greatest factor affecting air
pollution from vehicles.

It has come to my attention that Congressman Rich Boucher (D)
of Virginia, Chairman of the  House Subcommittee on Energy
and Air Quality, is a major driving force behind this legislation.
Please write him via the E-mail link on his web site below, or
BETTER YET, contact his Washington office at:

Congressman Rick Boucher
Washington, D.C. 20515
202-225-3861 (It only takes a minute to call!)
202-225-0442 (fax)

Web site e-mail contact:

http://www.boucher.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=645&Itemid=

On behalf of your fellow hobbyists, I thank you in advance for
your action. PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG!!!

  Sincerely,
  Tom Cox
  VP Membership AACA
  President Southwest Virginia Car Council
  Past President Virginia Museum of Transportation

----

u/?bUrDWg.bSONJP.YXJjLjYy

?p=TEXFOOTER