RE: Pistons?

The block for my max wedge car, best as my machinist could determine, had been bored to 426 PLUS 0.030 size, at least that was the size the pistons were.  However, the pistons were so loose that they gave me a choice: bore it a tad more and buy .040 pistons, or sleeve it back to stock and buy 413 pistons.  The advantage theoretically with keeping it at 426 size would be more readily available pistons, but when we called sealed power, which showed them available, they said they really were NOT available.  I checked on line, eBay etc, and did find a set of .030 413 flattops brand new, which I snatched up for future use on the Imperial, but no 426.  There were also new 413 motor home pistons with a deep dish, from KB.  Talking to Ross, which my machinist favored, they said they would make either 413 or 426 pistons for the same price anyway, so it was my choice.  We talked to Indy cylinder head, which is about 50 miles away, and they said sure bring the block on up and they would help me waste several hundred dollars sonic checking it, but if I wanted it to last a while, make the best possible power, and leave room for a future rebuild if desired, I should sleeve it.  Oh, I did ask, and they said you can't bore a 413 block to 440 size.   I just took their word for it, they seem to know what they're doing.  So I supplied the specs to Ross (chamber CCs, deck height, compression height, final static compression ratio desired, ring pack, pin diameter) and $830 later had my pistons.  Since I was doing it anyway, I went with 10.25:1 static ratio, less than stock (mine is a 13.5:1 car originally according to Mr. Davis' book) but I wanted to cruise some in it.  The sleeves ran $700 including installation.

Be that as it may, with a stock 413 with little ridge, if there isn't something wrong with the pistons, a freshening using those same pistons makes more sense to me than putting new stock pistons in the old bores.Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana '60 Chrysler Saratoga kustom; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '70 Challenger now 440; '72 Cuda '340>