RE: 440 help

I'm not sure.  My guess would be to fight detonation, as they expected
these engines to get very hot on a regular basis.  Maybe the low
compression would be easier on the bearings?  I'm just guessing here, of
course.

Interestingly, the old 318 Poly's made for heavy truck and industrial
use were also 7.0:1 compression.  When I was a teenager, they closed a
local cement plant.  My friend breathlessly dragged me up there so we
could buy some of the old hemi's they had there that were used to power
giant, stone conveyer belts and other large equipment--many outdoors, no
less.  The hemis all turned out to be 318 Polys, and I called him an
idiot because I passed up a date with a cute girl to go get one of the
things!  This was about 1981, and those old Polys had run seven days a
week from the 1950's and 1960's, and didn't give any trouble.  They were
all caked with cement dust, too.  That's saying something.  And I am
still shocked at the incredible size of the machinery a single Poly
engine can run.

----