Re: Installing Elec Distributor in 64 Dodge

Re: Installing Elec Distributor in 64 Dodge

The ballast resistor supplies reduced power only to the ignition (coil). There is a separate volage limiter in the instrument panel for the gauges, usually a unit on its own but sometimes inside either the fuel gauge or the temp gauge.

On cars in the 1960's the supply for the instrument gauge voltage limiter came from the windshield wiper switch via an 18 gauge black wire. That wire was connected at the wiper switch to a 16 gauge black wire that ran from the windshield wiper switch to the ignition switch, ACC connector. That way the windshield wipers, and the gauges, got power only when the ignition switch was in either ACC or RUN positions.

If you have a 12 volt coil and the distributor can handle a 12 volt input, you can bypass the ballast resistor. The BR was originally installed when manufacturers went to 12 volt ignition. The points could not handle 12 volts and wore out very quickly. The BR was placed before the coil to eliminate the need for a 12 volt coil. And it was easier, and cheaper, to reduce the 12 volts of the car's electrical supply than to reduce the bumped up power put out by the coil.

There are four wires on the ballast resistor -

For the START side (power bypasses the resistor) :
BROWN (18 gauge) - from the ignition switch - START position
DARK BLUE (18 gauge) - to the coil

For the RUN side (power runs through the resistor) :
DARK BLUE (16 gauge) - from the ignition switch - RUN position
DARK BLUE (18 gauge) - from the voltage regulator - IGN

Bill
Vancouver, BC

----- Original Message ----- From: "SB" <polecat2@xxxxxxxx>