RE: Carlisle?

As others reported, weather was great with the exception of the threat of
showers on Saturday.  Not as hot as usual and for the most part a pleasant
breeze made for comfortable days.  Alot of the used vendors bugged out
Saturday due to the threat of bad weather, and a good portion of those who
remained packed up Sunday morning as the crowd was extremely light.

>From the vendor perspective turnout seemed light but sales weren't down as
much as expected, although they were down.  There were quite a few vendors
who didn't come this year (mostly for economic reasons, some for health
reasons), and a few I talked to won't be back next year.  Pretty much a sign
of the times, as sales have been sluggish and costs continue to rise.  It's
hard to justify turning your business upside down for weeks to go to a show
and make little more than you'd make staying home.

The general consensus is that the internet is also playing a big part - it's
much easier to sell a rare part on eBay (letting bidders fight over it) than
it is to trot it around from show to show hoping the right person will see
and buy it.  Ditto for new/repro type parts.  Where it was once necessary to
have a large show presence to sell parts, fewer people are travelling to
shows and more are buying online instead.

The upside is that it was easy to get seating at local restaurants where
there is normally a wait for a table, and the traffic wasn't as bad as
usual.

Good or bad, the complexion of the industry is changing.  Hopefully things
pick up soon.

SC