RE: last question on electronic ignition!

RE: last question on electronic ignition!

I thought that ballast resistors for points style ignition are rated
around 1.2 ohms, while the ones for electronic ignition are only around
0.1 ohms.

Jimmy Peavy wrote:

> Wonder why the resistor is included with the electronic ignition kit if
> it's not needed?
>
>   Jimmy
>
> Schuyler Wrobel wrote:
> >
> > I've been doing some checking and it seems that most coils for are
> > cars are 12v coils, rather it be a MSD blaster,
> > Flame-Thrower, Accel Super Stock etc... what's different is some are
> > internally resisted with different primary resistances rated in Ohms,
> > just like the
> > ballast resistors are... ? it seems the lower Ohms rated coils, say .7
> > Ohms - .85 Ohms
> > have a higher maximum voltage rating like 45,000v, compared to 1.5
> > Ohms with a
> > maximum of 40,000v. there is also a secondary resistance, rated in
> > Ohms, and a
> > turns ratio etc... but, although, it still isn't 100% clear if you
> > need the ballast resistor with the
> > Mopar ECU? I'm reading stuff like the resistor is "Absolutely required
> > for points-triggered
> > ignitions equipped with coils that do not feature a built-in
> > resistor." ok or
> >
> > "No ballast resistor is required when using Accel 41000, 51000, 61000,
> > or 71000 series
> > Electronic Breakerless Distributors or when using Accel 300+ Ignition
> > Control Modules,
> > no matter what coil is used."
> >
> > and the "Mallory Heavy Duty Porcelain Resistors have a 200 watt rating
> > and use threaded terminal connections for better wire retention.
> > Available for most standard point type or electronic ignitions. This
> > resistor has variable resistance values for improved coldweather
> > starting and is a direct replacement for old Mallory Part
> > #650-25750-38 and #650-28127."
> >
> > JEGS ballast resistor is designed to be used on low resistance
> > ignitions such as breaker point and some optical trigger breakerless
> > systems. Ceramic construction prevents overheating of the system for
> > durability while maintaining consistent coil current and spark
> > duration. Rated at 1.6 Ohm.
> >
> > and I'm still looking, but I can not get a clear cut answer on
> > bypassing the MP ballast resistor, when using a
> > Mopar ECU, and one of these internally resisted coils ?? BTY there is
> > no indication that the
> > Accel SuperStock Coil is internally resisted? so, Rich, what do you
> > think? how hot is your coil getting after
> > 10 or 20 min. of use? I say if nothings heating up to much then maybe
> > your ok. all I know, is my resistor
> > gets freaking hot and my coil after an hour long trip is just a little
> > to warm to touch?
> >
> > clear as mud eh.
> >
> > Schuyler
> > 62 Dodge Dart 440 wagon w/ Poly 318
> >  <http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-wrobel62.html>
> > FYI - I Do the Decal designs for the Poly head 318 and more! email me
> > with your needs -
> >  <sky62@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >

> > On Jul 23, 2009, at 11:17 AM, Rich Kinsley wrote:

> [...]

'64 Belvedere
Davenport, Iowa

"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little
extra."

----