RE: Fan Shrouds Again

Here is where I got my fan shroud, it is not cheap but from what I can
tell it is probably a good reproduction:

http://www.rocketresto.com/

I have recently seen what appears to be the same or very similar unit
for sale by others.  I did have problems with it.  It appears that when
my radiator was re-cored the radiator was not positioned correctly in
the side straps which prevented the shroud from fitting correctly.  I
took the radiator to a shop, had the radiator moved forward in the side
straps and now have the shroud installed.

This did not correct my problem.  I am sure it helped at low speed in
town but I am still running too warm.  Don had one of the best
suggestions, put a smaller pulley on the water pump, it will spin the
water pump and fan faster.  I have not found a smaller pulley yet but I
think my problems will need more than that due to being in Yuma AZ.

Before you  get too far into trying to get a stable temperature try to
determine exactly when you are having the trouble. If it is only on town
at low speed then a shrould and high flow thermostat may be all that is
needed.  If on a hot day at highway speed the temperature is running too
high a shroud will not help.

One last note, we are all now driving modern cars where the temperature
remains constant and normal at virtually all times.  Just because the
temperature comes up does not mean that it is running too hot.

Good Luck
Dennis

Bill Maurits wrote:

> I had my first of cruising yesterday (YES!!! It's FINALLY back
> together!!!) and the 86 degree weather showed me quite quickly that I
> need to get a fan shroud on this radiator....it did not like stop
> lights very much. It never got to the top of the "normal box" on my
> guage, but I"m sure a shroud would help.
>
> Anyone have one to sell or can anyone point me to a site that sells
> them? What are the interchange possibilities on these?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Bill M
> 65 Coronet 500 'vert
> http://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mmo62008.html

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----