Re: Fender Tag ID

If the car is a Polara it is not a 440. Series for the 1963-64 Dodge (in the U.S.) from bottom to top were 330, 440, Polara and Polara 500.

The bottom line I can decode, but I suspect this car was not built in Detroit. Before 1965 each assembly plant had a different layout for the tags and I only have Hamtramck and Lynch Road, so far.

Anyway -

SO NUMBER - Shipping Order Number - 1218 4191
where "1218" is the scheduled build date - December 18, 1962.

BDY - Car Line / Series / Body Style - 632
6 : Car Line / Engine Type : Dodge V8
3 : Series : Polara
2 : Body Style : 2-door hardtop

TRM - Interior trim & upholstery - 643
64 : Seat style & upholstery :
3 : Colour : Tan

PNT - Exterior paint - XX1
X : Roof Colour : Beige
X : Body Colour : Beige
1 : Style : Monotone

On your tag, the Q - 5 is probably for the Heater / Defroster which is sales code 385. On Detroit cars the heater / defroster was under letter J.

I suspect A is for the transmission, where "2" is for sales code 342, Torqueflite A727.

The "3" under the H could be for such things as -
363 : Gold Touch Tuner Radio
423 : Backup lights
443 : Bumper Guards front & rear
503 : 361-V8, 2-bbl carb

Your serial number, on the driver's door hinge post, should look as -

633p xxxxxx

The "xxxxxx" is the sequential production number that started at 100001 at each assembly plant, except for the Hamtramck "A" body line which began at 300001.

The "p" is for the assembly plant, which for Dodge included -
2 : Hamtramck (Detroit, MI)
5 : LosAngeles, CA
6 : Newark, DE
7 : St.Louis, MO
8 : Wyoming Avenue (Detroit, MI - export)

"9" was for Windsor, ON, but Canadian Dodge V8 models started with "5" in 1963-64 plus the series names were 220, 330, and 440 in 1963 with no Polara or Polara 500. In both the U.S. and Canada, the Dodge 6 was "4" while "5" was used in the U.S. for the 880 line which was not built in Canada.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Tiberio" <furyus63@xxxxxxxxxxx>