To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: Are we having fun yet?

Thanks, Gary H. and Gary P. for the replies.
So here's the latest: Victory is ours! We got the '65 8/34 rear end, put on new rear wheel cylinders and shoes, and then went to pump in the brakes, but no fluid was coming out the right rear bleeder. Turns out the flex line on the '65 was blocked solid...I know, I know, we should have replaced it with a new one right away. A call to the local parts stores revealed, to paraphrase George Clooney's character in "O Brother, Where Are Thou?" a geographical oddity: A new brake line was two days away from anywhere we looked. Not having the time, we simply pirated the flex line off the old rear end and reused it. It ain't ideal, but the hose is in pretty good shape. We then pumped the brakes in and got a great pedal. Done. Then it came time to fire up the motor again, and this was going to be the first time that the motor actually ran for more than five minutes in probably 20 years. It started once again and ran fine on the new gas that we fed it out of an auxiliary tank straight to the carb, but when we switched it over to the gas in the tank, she got really cranky at idle. We just kept after it, and eventually whatever crap was in the tank burned off or the newer gas that we put in must have diluted it sufficiently, because she settled back into a nice idle and has been running smoothly ever since. Now, my pal's shop is about 20 miles from our cul de sac, and it's all So Cal freeway running between the two--not my first choice for a road test! But we went ahead in did it. With him following me in my Ram p/u, we hit the road. The car never missed a beat. It actually drives really well. The steering is tight, the trans shifts properly, and the brakes are solid. Next step is to replace the sorry, flat-spotted rubber rocks that are wrapped around the wheels with something resembling actual tires, and to throw a set of shocks on the front--they're shot. I already replaced the rears when we did the rear end. Then we have to start looking at the body and interior. The car is several shades of ugly, thanks to the previous owner's unfinished bodywork attempts. Just getting the thing all one color would be a huge cosmetic improvement. She has rust in a lot of the usual places, so that will need attention. The headliner is falling out, and the front seat, which is covered by a blanket, is upholstered in duct tape. But hey, I guess I can't stop now. The Wagon will serve as a great dry run for the Post, which is actually in far better shape and tucked away in my garage.

Cheers,

Scott
63 Dodge 330 Wagon
63 Dodge 330 Post