Re: Car Prices

When I started looking for a car last winter, I was surprised at how many cars were in my price range that I considered decent foundations to start with.  My criteria was to find a car that was drive-able or could be drive-able without a lot of work - then I could do more extensive work/modifications down the road.  I didn't want a basket case or something that needed a total resto before it could be driven.

When we decided to go to Florida for my daughter's spring break, I expanded my search to the southern states.  I found a '65 Satellite, 361, 4-speed - decent looking, but with a little front end damage in a southern Midwest state.  I could have driven it home for $9500.  But after crawling underneath I found rotted frame rails (covered with undercoating) and crudely patched floors.

We ended up buying our '64 Belvedere in Florida for $3500.  It didn't look as good as the Satellite on the surface, but it was a much better foundation to start with and it left me with more money to put into it.  It was running (318 Poly) and drive-able (supposedly).  The frame is really clean, although it had taken a hit on the front left at some point.  No significant rust that I can see.  It needs front floors (they're crudely patched), but the rear floors are great.  The trunk has some pin holes, but is solid.  It was painted somewhere along the line with horrendous body work.  It's about a 50 foot car. :-)  We towed it home on a trailer (that we drove it onto under it's own power).  After much tinkering with the transmission to try to get it to stop plugging filters, I finally eliminated all possibilities other than the bands and clutches are deteriorating.  So it's in for a rebuild as I type.

Bottom line is I feel like it was a decent deal, and I'm having a blast working on it.  My next project will be to try to get a later model rearend in it.  I don't mind the tapered axles, but my drums are trashed from all the abuse they've taken over the years of being pried off, and I suspect most used ones are in similar condition.  I have a line on a rearend from a '68 GTX for $350. complete.  I just need to measure it to make sure it'll fit with my wheel combo (I only have about an inch of clearance on each side now).  I also want to see if the heavy duty springs from the GTX would be a direct swap into my '64.

So I do think there are buys still out there.  I found mine on Craig's List.

Dave
'64 Belvedere 2D, HT