From: Gary H. [mailto:spigot2039@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:46 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Adjusting valves another way

Hi all,

I have adjusted solid lifter valves just going front to back with a feeler
gauge, I then E, one bank at a time.

But I was reading a Web page that said that claims "you need to forget
about...all that information that many individuals (and books) have taught
you in the past."

They say (on
http://www.centuryperformance.com/adjusting-valve-lash-spg-149.html )  the
only way to accurately adjust is to make adjustments on "opposite" valves on
the engine cycle.

So a 318 Poly firing order 18436572 which means:

Cylinder Numbering:
Driver Side bank, front to back
1
3
5
7

Passenger Side bank, front to back
2
4
6
8

.010 (hot) Intake Valve Adjustment:   ENGINE OFF!

*with #1 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #6 Intake
Valve *with #8 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #5
Intake Valve *with #4 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust
#7 Intake Valve *with #3 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift ....
Adjust #2 Intake Valve *with #6 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift
.... Adjust #1 Intake Valve *with #5 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve
lift .... Adjust #8 Intake Valve *with #7 cylinder Intake Valve at full
valve lift .... Adjust #4 Intake Valve *with #2 cylinder Intake Valve at
full valve lift .... Adjust #3 Intake Valve

.018 (hot) Exhaust Valve Adjustment:   ENGINE OFF!

... this is the same procedure and sequence as the intake valves listed
above. Only now you are adjusting ONLY the exhaust valves the same way.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Gary H.

----