The 392.....That Wasn't

Hi Guys,

As many of you know, I went to look at a 392 Hemi today that's all there (but apart) except for the intake and carb.  The price is $1,000.  Turns out that it's a 354.  I have sort of been agonizing over this engine for the past 4 days since I first heard about it.  I wasn't looking for an engine right now - I just stumbled upon this one.  But I did decide I'd go for it if it turned out to be what I was told it was.  Since it turned out differently, I've decided to pass on it.  Not that a 354 Hemi is anything to sneeze at, but over the past several days I had worked on educating myself on whether a 392 Hemi would work well in my '64 Belvedere - and if I wanted to go that route when I hadn't planned to.  I wasn't ready for it to be something else, and I think I'll just go back to enjoying my Poly for awhile longer.

I had a buddy with me who was there to look at - ironically - a complete, running 354 Hemi that was also for sale (for $2,000.).  He was hoping to buy that one for his '59 Belvedere.  That engine turned out to be a 270, 2bbl!  So he wasn't interested in that (he likes his Poly a lot as it is).  The 270 is said to have been a good runner when it was pulled 2 years ago - with good oil pressure.

After we found all of this out, we did discuss whether or not to buy the disassembled 354 anyway, because it looks to have been preserved quite nicely.  The block is said to have been stored in a drum of oil for 15 years (and it is well oiled and looks good), and it's said to have been checked for cracks previously - and it checked out good.  The valve covers are super clean - no dents or rust - just 54 year old paint on them.  We thought maybe we should buy it and decide later what to do with it - whether one of us builds it or if we would just sell it if we decided not to build it.  But in the end, we decided to head out since neither of us felt strongly that we wanted to use it.  It's still waiting for a buyer as far as I know.

As for the seller - I don't think he misrepresented anything.  I think he just didn't really know what he had - or remembered it wrong.  He says he was told the 354 was a 392 when he got it, and I guess he never checked it.  He did discover that the 270 wasn't a 354 and told me that on the phone before we took the hour drive up there this morning.  And he was right in there with us decoding the numbers - so I take him at his word.  He has a ton of cars and parts, and it's plausible to me that he could get things mixed up or not remember perfectly.  So, if anyone is looking for a nice 354 Hemi - it looks like a good deal.  It's located in central Wisconsin.  Let me know if you want contact info for the seller.

Thanks a bunch for all of your great input this week, guys!

Dave

----