To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:06 PM
Subject: RE: Mopar Nats

All this talk of car seizure and it never even occurred to me... What a cash
cow Brice Road would be!

IMHO the racing facilities are about the same, although the National Trails
restroom facilities have always been a sore spot.  I honestly don't recall
the orientation of the swap and manufacturers areas to the track at Indy, so
I can't comment on that.  But I can't imagine Indy was much worse that
Columbus, and in no way is as spread out as the Monster Mopar meet at
Gateway in St. Louis.

IIRC the big reason to move back to Columbus was for Brice Road - people
could get moderately stupid and in many instances the cops looked the other way, which didn't happen in Indy. Everybody longed for Brice Road, so they
finally moved it back.  I can't imagine the Indy locals cared much for the
kind of cruise traffic the Nats brought - definitely different from
sanctioned racing events at Raceway Park or the Brickyard.  I personally
find Brice Road a little scary - too many idiots.  We got stuck staying on
Brice a few years back and the burn-out contest in the hotel parking lot
went well into the night.

Then last year Heath started with the radar-cams and ruffled everybody's
feathers by mailing speeding tickets to them the following week.

And as I mentioned earlier, shows are shrinking each year, contrary to what
the promoters say.  Less attendees spending less money results in less
vendors - although the racers will be there no matter what. Many prominent
parts vendors just don't go anymore.  Even Carlisle had a lot of empty
spaces last year.

If you are wanting to take in one of these big national events, don't wait.
It's beginning to sound like the end of an era to me...

SC