Re: Engine bump switch

Thanks for that Steve. I was wondering if the remote starter was the same thing as shorting the starter with a screwdriver, which I think we did if a solenoid failed. From your description, it is.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Charette " < stevec @ imperialservices .net>
To: 1962to1965mopars@ topica .com
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:16:09 AM
Subject: RE: Engine bump switch

Butch,
        The Snap-On model I have is one I got back in the 60's - Snap-On
refers to it as a 6" Straight Blade Screw Driver.  Proper usage dictates
delicately wedging it between the large terminal on the starter relay and
the middle terminal (one with the small screw holding the connector) until
the starter cranks amid a shower of sparks.

        After roasting the ends of all my screwdrivers, I eventually bought
one from Cornwall or somebody like that... It had a red lead that went to
the large terminal on the relay, and a black one that went to the middle
terminal.  Cool part was that it also had a toggle switch in the bottom that
electrically connected the red wire to third green wire, that was connected
to the positive terminal of the coil.  I called it my "portable key", as I
could start a car in the lot and run it inside even if I didn't have the
key.  Locking steering columns religated the rig to "bump switch" status.

        Looking back now that I know better, hooking the black and red wires
as described above caused the bump switch to carry the load of the solenoid
- it would probably be more proper to connect the black wire (as described
above) to the terminal opposite the neutral start switch.  This would have
the added benefits of A) not carrying the solenoid load across the switch,
and B) potentially prevent you from running over yourself if the car is not
in Park or Neutral.  In addition, running the hot jumper directly to the
coil would have made short work of the points if driven for long.  That wire
(green) should have been hooked to the supply side of the ballast resistor.

        Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to see a bump switch mounted on
the firewall (great for lashing valves), and one buddy of mine even had an
oil pressure gauge underhood .  Same with volt meters in the trunk to monitor
the trunk-mounted battery.

SC