To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: steering wheel

I'm working on a wheel restoration. Well, working is maybe a stretch. I started it a couple of months ago and haven't gotten back to it yet. Too many other things got pushed ahead of it. I picked up some bondo that's made for plastic bumper repair. It's supposed to have some flex in it - which is what I was told steering wheel repairs need. The steps I'm taking are cleaning out the cracks, then filling and sanding with the bondo in stages to get it back to it's proper contours. So far it seems to work well, but I'm just barely started into the project so I can't really give an educated report yet. I haven't even done any sanding yet. One tip is to use a filler that sets up fairly quickly and rotate the wheel as it sets up to keep it even in the crack. Hopefully I'll get back at it maybe this weekend or next week. I'll update when I know more.

Dave