Mounted on wrecker '62

Hi all,

I had to get the ol’ ’62 Plymouth mounted on the back of a tow truck recently. The car ran great on the 35 mile ride to a club event. About 5 miles into heading back home the car started to loose power. I made it to a side road. I could get the motor to start after cranking the starter a while but only barely and rough; it stalled immediately putting it in Drive.

I figured the timing chain may have jumped or the modern “gasoline” may have eaten up the accelerator pump in the carb.

Finally had a chance to look at the car today. The #1 piston is at the top of the stroke and the timing mark on the flywheel is at 0. The rotor is pointing to the correct spark plug wire. If I pull on the carb linkage and look inside I can see a good shot of gas.

I then squirted some ether starting fluid in the cab and got no reaction when I cranked the engine. If I crank the starter for about 30 seconds I get a faint attempt at the engine starting.

The points etc. are about a year old. I did not check the point gap. As I wrote, the car ran great on the ride up.

Any thoughts on what’s busted or what to test next?

Thanks,
Gary H.

----

u/?bUrDWg.bSONJP.YXJjLjYy