From: Dennis C. <dennis.2914@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, August 7, 2010 9:23:55 PM
Subject: RE: And PSHCEEEEW it was gone...

Hello,
I don't have my notes with me so I would appreciate anyone stepping in
if I am wrong.

I have the Pertronix billet distributor with the internal rev limiter on
my 338 because I have a 4-speed and don't want to have problems if I
miss a shift.

Pertronix tech support is very good if you call them.  So far I have had
a unit fail, not completely but it cause rough running, it was repaired
and is now doing well.  I have a coil from them that I replaced because
it rattled, something was wrong inside, I had removed the labels so I
did not try to exchange it with them.

If you think it is the Pertronix unit giving you a problem the ground
for the Pertronix is critical, it should be one of the first things you
check.  I'm referring to the ground in the distributor.

As to the operation I was told by Pertronix on my unit (yours may be
different) that I should not run a ballast resistor and it could adjust
current internally and work with any coil.

By the way if anyone considers this distributor I had to grind on the
Mopar Performance valve cover and on the head for clearance, the
distributor is BIG around.

I completely trust this unit as far as I can throw it!

I have a box in the trunk with a point distributor, stock coil, drawing
of with standard ignition and Pertronix ignition and timing light. I
carry a small tool box with enough tools.

I still have the ballast resistor on the firewall however I have a
junper that jumps the terminals together.  I just need to remove the
jumper to go back to a stock system.  Very quick and easy to switch
between systems.  I did it a number of times verfying that my initial
problem was the Pertronx distributor.

Good Luck
Dennis C.

Bill M wrote:

> Went to take the Coronet our for a ride this evening, turned a corner,
> hit the gas, and it let out a "PSCHEEEEW" backfire through the carb
> and then it was dead. I changed the ballast resistor again...that's
> not it. It didn't have spark but I didn't get into diagnosis other
> that putting the coil wire near a bolt and cranking. How often do
> fairly new coils, or Pertronix units take a dump? Can someone go over
> the coil diagnosis procedure for me again? I'm REALLY rusty w/
> electrical stuff. Also, how would I tell the coil from the Pertronix
> unit being bad if I have power where I need to have it?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Bill M
> 65 Coronet 500 'vert http://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mmo62008.html
> 73 Dart Sport, 00 Cherokee Sport, 01 Dakota SLT
> 21 Model T Depot Hack, 92 Accord, 06 Mazda 3

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----
Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly
to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as
other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse
public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume
of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html and