To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 8:18 AM
Subject: RE: 1964 Dodge Polara Radio

Ok folks; I know that the dead horse is getting beaten here, but if memory serves me right, here is how Ma Mopard did it in the early to late 60"s. My first new Mopar was a 65 Coronet 440 with 440 street sedge and four speed. It came from Arnold Palmer Dodge, (largest Mopar dealer in the midwest). It was ordered with a radio and antenna at the dealer. You sat down with the salesman and went through the available options and mixed and matched what you wanted. I also had a 62 Dodge Dart ex state police car. This was a bare minimum car, no radio, no arm rests. It did come with a tinted windshield, but remember you had the option of ordering tinted or non tinted. If you did not order the radio you got no speaker in front nor a hole in the left fender. You did get a radio delete plate in the dash. All the dashes were punched for a speaker and radio. The 65 Doronet 2 dr post that I now have had an antenna but no radio so the delete plate was in the dash and there was no speaker in the dash when I got the car either. Don't know why but I'm guessing that as this car came down the assembly line (probably on a Friday or Monday) some retard did not read the build sheet and punched the hole and installed an antenna but when it got the the radio install guy, he noticed that there was no radio ordered and just let the delete plate stay in and skipped on to the next car. Thee were a lot of drugs being ingested by the mid 60's and there was a large influx of people to Detroit with no education on the assembly lines. My brother worked at the Electrical factory in Indianapolis and my Dad worked at Ford's steering gear plant in Indy too, so I know what I'm talking about with the Monday and Friday quip. Also the there was no education requirement in those days. They just needed bodies to fill the assembly lines. My dad quit in the 12th grade to fight the second world war and my brother was dyslexic and quit after the 10th grade. We just thought he was stupid.....No one knew what dyslexia was back then. He did consume a lot of illegal drugs during that era. My dad was smart though and rose to be head inspector of the steering gear line. (meant he got to get punched out early on Friday and punched in early on Monday by someone else.
Hope this does not muddy the water any more that it already is.
Just remember....No radio, means no speaker and dash kept the delete plate.
Later
Bill Harrison
65 Coronet 2 dr post