Carter Fuel Pumps

For the P4070 I found an isolator kit that for some reason I am not able
to find now that helps insulate the pump from the frame.  I mounted mine
above the rear axle as low as I could with a fuel filter ahead of it -
as I said before, gets attention when I turn it on.

I found that I could run from full to about 1/2 tank without the
electric drawing through the electric pump with my mechanical pump.
Then the restrictions of the pump and the filter start getting vapor in
the line and I need to start the pump.  To make life easier I removed
the mechanical pump.

It is important to consider a safety that will turn off the electric
pump when the engine is not running.  Here are some examples:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Fuel-Pressure-Safety-Switches/

The switch gets wired similar to the ballast resistor, when the key is
in start it forces the fuel pump on.  When you release the key and the
engine is running oil pressure keeps power to the pump.  If the engine
stops and oil pressure is lost the pump is turned off.  You don't want
the fuel pump running when the engine is off, the pump can overheat.  If
you have an accident you also want the pump off without oil pressure.

As I said earlier the Carter P60504 looks really nice for a driver.  It
appears that it has low flow restrictions and the mechanical pump might
be able to be kept.

Dennis C.

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----