Re: TRIM INSTALL

Wayne,

If it's like my '64 Belvedere, I'd say clips on first, then snap the trim on.  I tried it the other way at first and couldn't get it to work.  In fact, I had to tap the button in each plastic clip to get it to expand into the hole.  I was at a disadvantage as I hadn't removed the molding myself.  It was all in the trunk when I bought the car.  I had never seen the car with the molding on, and I didn't even know which fasteners I needed.  Most of the holes were already there (and maybe one or two extra!), so I wasn't totally in the dark.  Joe Suchy saved the day for me by drawing a diagram of how many clips went where and of which type.  His advice was invaluable - what a great guy.

I didn't protect the body since it will be repainted down the road.  But not soon enough to go that long without the trim, so I put it all on.  I didn't mess it up - probably because it didn't matter!  If it were fresh paint I probably would have goofed it up - LOL.  Putting something behind to protect it sounds like a good idea.  But in my case, that trim is very tight to the body, so I don't know.  I'm sure other guys will speak up with ideas.

Dave