To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: Inner and Outer Seal failure- Rear end- 64 Plymouth

Thanks everyone. The seals are in correctly, spring sides towards the 3rd member. When I put these seals in, I took the springs off and put them back on when I'd driven the seals in, cause they kept popping out and I had to retrieve them from the axle tubes. I did grease the large bearings, one still had a lot of grease in it, the other had pretty much washed out with oil.

I will have to assume that I damaged the seals putting the axles in. I'll get someone to help me slide them in this time, see if that helps. I also am lucky to have a spare complete 323 rear end that came out of a wrecked car with 35,000 miles on it. The receipts showed the car had to be repainted once (single owner car) because he had it washed and waxed weekly at the dealership, wore through the paint. If I can't get seals to work correctly the second time I install them, I'll put the spare rear end in, as is (+) a brake job, and figure the bearings and seals are fine unless they prove otherwise.

I think what's so frustrating about this is that I did this several times as an 18-20 year old when I'd swap my 323s for some 488s to go street racing, never remember seals failing like this.
Butch

----- Original Message ----- From: "MO ( Steve Mick)" <micher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>