Running warm

While I was growing up, my father had three cars at different times with a 318 Poly engine.  It had no flex fan, no declutching fan and no fan shroud.  It also had no auxillary electric fan.  There is a large mountain near Uniontown, PA.  It must take about 5 minutes at 55 mph to get to the top of the mountain, or maybe a few minutes longer.  Many a car overheated going up that mountain in the old days, including my father's car.  They had a place half-way up the mountain to pull off if your car overheated.  There were always cars stopped there with steam coming out from under the hoods of their cars.

The old Mopars, especially the Poly's, never had a shroud that I saw on one and I have seen many Poly engines in many Mopars.  So anyone with a Poly engine all set up stock is likely to have some overheating problems at certain times.  If you live where it is flat your engine would probably never overheat.

Technology has changed.  Even the 4 and 6 cylinder cars now have an electric fan that comes on by itself when the engine temp starts to rise.  If a 4 or a 6 cylinder engine needs help because they get hot, remember that a V8 engine makes even more heat.  Heat is horsepower and the more horsepower you have the more cooling power you need.  A 318 Poly, stock with a two-barrel carb, makes more HP than a 4 cylinder engine and most 6 cylinder engines.  So they run hotter.

If the 4 and  6 cylinder engines need an auxillary electric cooling fan, wouldn't it stand to reason that a lot of the old Mopars driven by the members here might need one too?  Hint:  You only need one if your car overheats.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  On the other hand, if it is broken, like the cooling fan on my friend's daughter's 6 cylinder Jeep, it will overheat at a stoplight.  She can't drive that Jeep until her dad replaces the broken fan.  That's how important those auxillary fans are.

As always, anyone can take my advice or leave it.  Just give it some thought and consideration and good luck to anyone with overheating problems.  They can be a bitch to fix.

One last thing.  Overflow can.  If your car does overheat you don't want the water on the ground, you want it in a tank under your hood so the engine sucks it back in when the engine is cool enough to run again.

Chick

--
--