Front End Work

I have been hard at work on the front end my 1941 Ply street rod. This is not really “off topic” as I have figured out the front clip is a 1964-1976 Plymouth Valiant. The disc brakes have been adapted from a 1976 Volare.

At first I started out to just replace the upper A frame bushings but it has snowed balled into completely re-bushing the entire front end. This includes the upper A frame, LCA, strut rod bushings, shocks and new torsion bars. All of the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. are good.

I have been pleasantly surprised that all the parts are available from Moog and I have them all in hand now.  This weekend I will be at my friends Rod Shop using his press to install the bushings.

I decided to replace the torsion bars as I did not feel they are big enough. I removed .850’s. They were rated for a /6 w/air and a 318 wo/air. I am running a LA318 w/air. I also figure the sedan delivery itself may be heavier. I am replacing them with .920. I hope to pick up the front end a couple of inches.

I had to purchase a Mopar torsion bar remover tool. When I did my 2 1965 Satellites I was able to make them out of wood as per one of the tech guides at our site. I did not have enough room to work with the wood ones under my 41.

Hopefully everything will be back together soon and I can get to the front end shop for alignment next week.

Ollie

--
--