Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 01:58:40 -0800
Subject: Conversion
From: ericsturgis@xxxxxxxxx
To: zephyr9900@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes it's a 361 that I have, and they did tell me after I bugged them several times it is a 5.7L out of a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500.  I thought it might be as they had a bad rolled over wrecked one sitting in the back.  They do have the whole truck, so wiring, computers, fuel pumps and gas tank mods are not a problem.  The space in that Newport, you can put nearly anything under the hood with room to spare, not like the smaller Dodges and Plymouths that everybody races.  I looked it up online, it puts out about 375 HP at something like 5000 RPM.  Spins much faster than my old 361, and puts out 100 more horses.  I admit I would love a newer style Hemi in the car, and 100 more horses would be a lot of fun.  That rear axle will have to go at some point for a "posi" or whatever it's called, but later.

Just so I understand it in my head these are the things that will have to be changed over or modified to make this work.

1.  B & M Flexplate...  is it this one?  http://bmracing.com/?wpsc_product_category=mopar-flexplate
2.  I keep my 1962 motor mounts for the new motor?
3.  New fuel lines, from the pump to the front and a return line (I'm sure the truck one is long enough)
4.  Modify the fuel tank for return fuel line and for the electric fuel pump from the truck
5.  I don't have A/C so that will have to go or be caped off
6.  Can I used the PS pump from the truck for my car?  Just hook it up and go?
7.  Will I have to use the catalytic convert from the truck or can I just toss it?  Will the computer be happy with the O2 sensors if I get rid of the CAT?
8.  Does the bell housing of the trans bolt directly to the motor?
9.  If I remember right the torque converter has the teeth for the starter, but the new flexplate looks like it has the teeth, do I just have them take off the teeth on my old torque converter at the transmission shop?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it would be really fun to have a faster, more dependable daily driver.  It will look so sweet and Innocent, till I step on it.  The work I was going to do to my motor was going to cost me around $600 in gaskets, carb, dist, paint and labor so just $400 more plus prob another $500 to make all the new stuff work is not really out of the budget.  So I have to wait a few more months to re-chrome my bumpers to do the motor.  I can live with that.
--
Eric
Tacoma, WA

--