Darg Racing - Not pulling at top of gear

Darg Racing - Not pulling at top of gear

During my last two trips to the drag strip with my 440 powered '65 Belvedere,
I'm getting no acceleration at the top of each gear.  It's around 5500 RPM.
This is an engine that has gone over 6300 RPM on the chassis dyno a few years
ago and I have been shifting at 5700-5800 in the past.  Just seems to stop
accelerating kinda like you put your hand over the carb.  Seems a little worse
at the end of first gear. I installed a Carter electric fuel pump between trips.
I do not have a fuel pressure gauge.

Someone suggested I needed a larger carb.  It's a 850 CFM AED 4150 carb which
would seem large enough.  I did check the clearance between the hood and the
carb top and it's 2" which would seem adequate, too.

The car is running 12.35 at 108mph at 3800#.

Any suggestions on where to look for a cause and solution to this issue?

Akron Don Gallimore

--
--