Re: tools questions

My rules of thumb for tools are:  if it needs to be precision or advanced, I go with Snap On, Mac, or for some stuff Craftsman.  If it doesn't need to be precision or advanced, I may go with Harbor Freight, we have one in Indy now about 50 miles away so I don't have to pay big bucks for shipping big stuff.

Specific suggestions:  You can put a metal cut off wheel on your miter saw (I'm assuming you are talking about a power chop box), I've used both the abrasive type, bigger version of the 3" ones, and for sheet metal the steel metal-cutting style with the slots around the circumference.  They also make 7 1/4 versions of that style which works great for building pole barns.

The big deal on tubing benders seems to be the desirability of making mandrel bends which I understand takes the much more expensive versions.

I bought a good ol' Craftsman drill press used off a guy, I typically use it at its slowest speed, which is adjustable by changing the belt to a different set of pulleys in the stacks.

I'm less satisfied with the Craftsman hydraulic press I bought new. It is a big one but they left out the set of plates, and those seem to be impossible to find for sale separately.  I finally bought a piece of 1" plate at the local metal dealer and was able to make my own which work fairly well.  Seems like I constantly need to add fluid even though I can see no leaks. I suppose that over the 10 years I've had it, it has gradually worked out air as I use it.   Also it was supposed to come with a set of mandrels which fit into the head of the ram and those were also missing.  When I tried to get this stuff they said the model was discontinued and no parts were available even though I had just bought it, I probably should have just taken it back apart and returned the whole thing but as long as I keep it topped up it does work fine now.  I like that the handle is down at comfortable arm level rather than up on a converted bottle jack like the Harbor Freight ones.

For my own wish list, I lust after a plasma cutter and a TIG welder, or at least a spool gun for my MIG so I can weld on aluminum.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana, harboring of bunch of old and newer Mopars

--
--
--