thermostat and temp

I'm posting this reply with a new subject to help follow along in the archive. I looked up what I was remembering reading and I was almost there! :)  He recommended a 195 degree thermostat. Below is a review of the Q and A that took place.

"Q. My question is regarding the operating temperature of my 440 (in my '74 Challenger). My temperature gauge is always running at 180 degrees steady when hot. The engine seems to stay hot for a very long time after I shut it off. Some people say that it isn't a good thing that the engine runs so hot as this is harsh on the internals. I have no coolant leaks or issues. My radiator runs a shroud...Is 180 degrees a normal operating temperature for the 440?..."

"Answer:...Actually, the engine would be healthier if you swapped to a 195°F thermostat. As long as the coolant does not boil (even locally, such as steam pockets in the heads, which can cause detonation), the hotter the better, up to certain limits. This keeps oil cleaner and purer (boiling off any fuel that contaminates it), improves fuel economy, and can actually increase HP (less heat of combustion lost to the cooling system) as long as the intake charge stays cool.
    Constant coolant temperatures can also decrease engine wear. If coolant temperatures vary, so do cylinder wall, piston, crankshaft, main bearing bore, etc., dimensions. It also makes the cooling system more efficient (delta symbol italic t), letting you use a smaller, lighter radiator. Don't believe me? Take an IR gun to the radiator of your newest daily driver, any brand. Most use a 203° thermostat."
-- Richard Ehrenberg, Mopar Action,  April 2014 issue, page 90

--
--
--