58 Belvedere - Fuel Filter Wierdness

From: George Vanovich
email: vanovich@rtd.com
Date: November 16, 1999
Time: 21:51:14

Comments

I have encountered a problem with the fuel filter on my 58 Plymouth. It has a 2 bbl Carter with a glass globe fuel filter on a 318. I have found that I can affect the flow of gas by tightening up on the glass bulb. If I loosen the bulb to just the right level I can see air being aspirated into the system, but the engine runs fine. If I tighten the bulb, the air flow stops and the engine dies. I'm afraid that fuel might be bypassing the filter elemnt when I do this. I know the filter element is not clogged, so what is causing this and can I fix it while still keeping the old style filter?

Last changed: March 03, 2024