Re: A LITTLE HELP PLEASE?

From: Joe Rice
email: 426hemi@wsu.edu
Date: March 20, 2000
Time: 17:22:58

Comments

You should be able to convert your '56 from 2 to 3 speed; from what I hear it is a direct bolt in if you swap all the parts (shift button plate, shift rods, etc.) Chrysler switched from the Powerflite to the Torqueflite mid-year '56 so they had to do the same swap you are contemplating. Depending on what you want to do with the car, you may want to go to lower (numerical ratio) gears; 1st gear on your Powerflite is the same ratio as 2nd on the Torqueflite. If you stay with your current differential, you will notice a huge increase in acceleration when starting out in 1st. Your top speed and cruising RPM won't change unless you change the differential though because both trannies have a 1:1 top gear. Of course, you probably know all this already, so please ignore my ramblings :)

Last changed: March 03, 2024