Re: 58 Ply engines

From: Eddie Mac
email: 57imperial@netscape
Date: August 27, 2000
Time: 23:04:29

Comments

I can answer your question. The engine compartment can and will accept the big block. Your transmission on the other hand will have to be changed. All Chrysler big block engines from 1958 to 1961 have a unique bolt up to the flywheel from the crankshaft. In 1962,chrysler came out with the aluminum torqueflight for the big block enines and hence dictated a different boltup pattern to the crankshaft which did not change! Big blocks mount up to big block trannys and the same could be said that small blocks bolt up to small block trannys. The newer style torqueflite can be bolted up to the 1958-61 big block with an adaptor plate which are available with venders in Hemmings and Mopar swap meets. Good luck! I hope I helped.

Last changed: March 03, 2024