[_borders/olddiscussion_ahdr.htm]

Re: HELP! MY 57 NEW YORKER'S DOOR IS STUCK CLOSED

From: Dan Peter
Email: dan@pacbell.net
Date: November 19, 2001

Comments

I have the same problem with my two back doors on my 1961 newport and haven't got around to fixing them yet. The inside handle seems to work fine, but doesn't open it. And the outside handles feel like there isn't enough resistance when you lift up on them. There is a tricky way the previous owner taught me to get the door open. He seemed to have it mastered, but it's very difficult for me. Lift up on the outside door handle two or three times as hard and as fast as you can, and it pops open. I figured out why this worked one time when I was looking at the door latch mechanism. Each time you lift it, it appears to move the latch just a little further open. Almost like a ratcheting effect. I dunno, worth a try. Dan

[_borders/olddiscussion_aftr.htm]