[_borders/olddiscussion_ahdr.htm]

Re: bellhousing differences (Manual Transmissions)

From: Kenny J.
Email: kjosephson@sprintmail.com
Date: December 14, 2001

Comments

During the the years 1957-59, there were different gear ratios within the transmissions (the six and certain V-8s used a closer ratio three speed with a steeper first and second.) They did, as you pointed out, physically interchange. Somebody did mention to me that he retained the close ratio light duty three speed and 3.73 rear end when he replaced a 230 with a 318. He said the car was quite peppy and everything held together fine for the duration of his ownership. I would suspect, however, that a B or RB engine would make short order of a light duty three speed if driven hard.

[_borders/olddiscussion_aftr.htm]