Re: steering wheel resto.

From: Hank Dozier
Email: dozierhc@aol.com
Date: March 07, 2002

Comments

That old plastic is pretty brittle. Can be patched, but no gurantees that it won't immediately crank again on thermal-cycling . I have the same problem with my steering wheel on my 56 DeSoto. There are some shops in Hemmings that advertise "rebuild" of the old wheels using new more UV tolerant plastics. Basically the burn off the old plastic in an oven, and then clean the wire reinforcement ring before putting the wheel in a mold and insert-molding new material (of whatever color you want) over the inner frame. I understand it comes out better than original. I will be checking some shops in the next months on mine, and can forward information to you as well.

Last changed: March 03, 2024