FROM A BUICK 8

From: Jon Hendricks
Email: my57firesweep@hotmail.com
Remote Name: 4.17.81.221
Date: November 03, 2002

Comments

This is in response to a post made by alumcan earlier, i didnt read all of the replies because there were about 400 of them...so if i repeat anything anyone else already said, my apologies. First, the similarities between Christine and From a Buick 8 only go so far. Sure they are both set in PA, and they both involve cars from the 50's, and in both books they drink Iron City Beer, they also mention Horlick's University in From a Buick 8, which is the university that Arnie's parents were professors at in Christine. That is pretty much it. In the book From A Buick 8 the car only moves a few times, where as in christine the car was always either drivin or driving itself. The Buick in the new book is like a "portal" into some other unkown dimension. Though in Christine and in the new book both cars DO "magically" heal themselves of any damage done to them. In the new book they intentionaly scratch the paint and blow out the tires and set up cameras to record the car healing itself. Strange things fly out of the trunk of the Buick, and the police troopers collect them and study them and try to find out what they are. The car on the cover is definitely not a 54 Roadmaster, he admits to that in the author's notes at the end of the book. BUT his descriptions of the vehicle in the book are 50000000 % better and more accurate than the descriptions of Christine (come on, a 4 door FURY with a poly 318??) King must have done some homework on this car. As for the straight 8 in 54 i thought they kept that motor until 55? Not sure...but a minor discrepency nonetheless. In my opinion, the new book is good, it just isn't Christine. They probably wont make a movie of it because it is rather boring, BUT i would recommend reading it to everyone who is literate. Anyways, that is my 2 cents on his new book.....i got it the day it went on sale:P Jon Hendricks

Last changed: March 03, 2024